Checklist for Doctoral Dissertation Defense
- Schedule exam during school semester; be sure to register.
- File the Intention to Receive Degree Form as required through ACES.
Deadlines: May Degree: January 25
September Degree: July 1
December Degree: November 1
- When applying the Intent Form, check to make sure committee members up to date. If not, notify DGSA with correction. After filing this form you may soon be contacted by someone at the graduate school to schedule the various things that have to take place before you defend.
- Clear date and time with all members of your committee, the notify DGSA to reserve a room for the exam.
- Be sure to notify the DGSA if a committee member will be out of town during the exam so they can get permission to participate remotely and get the instructions to the committee member.
Only 1 committee member can participate remotely unless special permission is given by the DGS and Graduate School Dean.
- Once you know your Dissertation title, send it to the DGSA so they can send the departmental announcement to the Graduate School.
- Proofread your dissertation and have someone else do so before handing it to your committee.
- Your final copy of the dissertation should be distributed to your committee 1 month in advance.
- Once the Chair of your committee has read your dissertation and approves it ready to defend, they must send an announcement to the graduate school (email@example.com), cc DGSA, stating that they have read it and is ready for defending.
- Format your dissertation using the Graduate School dissertation template. You will be contacted by the Graduate School to schedule a format check.
- ALL dissertations are submitted electronically. Before submitting the dissertation, be sure to review all information/webpages.
- Pick up Final Exam Card from the Graduate School and bring it to the defense.
- Come to exam with enough sleep and earn a clear pass.
- Have committee sign Exam Card, Dissertation and Abstract pages. The DGS must sign the Exam Card. Unless the DGS is on the committee, leave the Exam Card with the DGSA to get their signature.
- The DGSA will need a copy of each of these documents before it goes back to the Graduate School.
- Make corrections and submit 3 new dissertation copies and abstracts.
- Pay for microfilming, binding, & (optional) copyrighting.
NOTE: The DGSA only takes care of scheduling a room for the exam and sending the departmental announcement of the defense. Everything else is handled through the Graduate School.
Please also see the Graduate School's Summary of Steps for Electronic Submission of Thesis and Dissertation.