Through independent study, you can earn course credit while pursuing your own individual interests under the supervision of a faculty member. There are two types of independent study:
- Independent Study (non-research), and
- Research Independent Study.
To participate in independent study, you must do the following:
- Get the approval of the instructor involved as well as the director of undergraduate studies in the relevant department or program;
- Participate in meetings with the instructor at least once every two weeks during fall or spring semester and once each week during summer semester; and
- Complete a final product to be completed during the semester for which you are registered for the course.
Your instructor will evaluate your final product, and provide a grade for the independent study.
Please also consider Graduation with Distinction!