Duke offers a wide range of professional development programs and support for doctoral students. The Department will offer events each semester to prepare students.
Spring 2022 Department Workshop
Portfolio Exam Informational Workshop with DGS Esther Gabara
Friday, April 15, 2022
This virtual professional development workshop is open to all Romance Studies graduate students, and will address cover letters, CVs, and all the planning necessary to navigate fellowship applications and the job market. Presentation will be about 40 minutes long, with 15-20 minutes for Q&A afterward.
Event will be held on zoom. Email Julia, if you need the link.
Duke’s Versatile Humanists program is a National Endowment for the Humanities-sponsored Next Generation Ph.D. Implementation Grant aimed at professional development for doctoral humanities students. The Versatile Humanists program augments professional development programs in The Graduate School and will benefit students interested in academic or non-academic career paths.
Versatile Humanists at Duke builds on six focus areas:
- Individualized advising support
- External internship opportunities
- Project management roles on interdisciplinary research teams
- Alumni Ph.D. networking
- Fostering pedagogical innovations in graduate training
- Ongoing conversations about professional development for Ph.D. students
The Graduate School offers a deep bench of professional development training, workshops and support with the goal of helping you succeed in the career path of your choice. Programs include:
- Teaching ideas workshops
- Courses on college teaching and a formal certificate in college teaching
- Bass Instructional Fellowships
- Year long Preparing Future Faculty program
- Duke OPTIONS online program with a focus on teaching & mentoring, communication, professional adaptability, leadership, self-awareness, and professionalism & scholarly integrity
- Six-week Emerging Leaders Institute
- Professional Development Series featuring talks, workshops, panels and events to help students develop transferable skills
- Professional Development Grant program to support discipline-specific professional development programming
- Responsible Conduct of Research training
- Writing Support in the form of courses, consultations and additional support for international students
- Professional development blog